Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Introduction



In 2005 my then-girlfriend and I were fortunate enough to purchase an old house (pictured above) in Addison, Vermont. In short order we duly signed up for membership at the Bixby Memorial Library in nearby Vergennes. While going through local interest room there I came across a publication titled "The Historic Architecture of Addison County." Put out by the Vermont State Register of Historic Places, the book listed every house, barn, shed, building, chicken coop, outhouse, and otherwise old structure in our area.

The book gives readers a rough sketch of each location, listing known date of construction, architectural elements, outbuildings, and in some cases shows photos. It leaves you wanting much, much more. So, using it as a guide, I'm setting out to add as much as I can to the public record on each of these houses, given their historical, architectural, and cultural importance. If you have any added information, insight, or commentary be it on a specific location, the vernacular stylings of the region, or old houses in general, feel free to comment on the posts or send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment